14 Feb How to Build Successful IoT Mobile Applications
Everyone has witnessed the surpassing the people’s imagination from the new innovation in the 21st century. From these new innovations, the Internet of Things is the one in the list. Internet of Things(IoT) with its creativity doesn’t seem to slow down its height of growth. So how you can turn the tables and make the profit from this technology is what I am going to share with you today.
Before starting with how you can build a successful IoT mobile applications, what you need to know is some basic facts about the IoT.
So, What is the Internet of Things(IoT)?
In a layperson’s language, the Internet of Things(IoT) is a procedure where elements like sensors, cloud computing, and electronic gadgets which are altogether linked with each other via a network. Fortunately, this is the era of wireless communication, where the data is shared and stores on the online server.
Main IoT components that you need to know:
1. Hardware: The hardware can include the low energy sensors that can work over Bluetooth and can connect to the internet. The hardware can also include a mobile device for the IoT system.
2. Software: For an IoT System, the software is basically a cloud-based application which performs as a dashboard to manage control of all devices connected to it. It can be either web or app. This dashboard should also collect the information from the sensors and display it to the users.
3. Cloud: So, what is Cloud? How do you define Cloud? What is the connection between the Cloud and IoT? There are many more questions which comes to the thought regarding the Cloud. Ideally, the cloud is referred to the internet platform where the data is received, transferred, operated and stored.
4. Network: Network is the link which helps the devices to get connected to IoT. Basically, Network gathers data from the different devices connected and arrange them systematically.
So, as you know the basics now, it’s time to dig in a dip on How to build a successful IoT mobile applications?
There are many steps to go through for the IoT mobile application development. Let’s go through these steps so in future you can build your IoT mobile apps according to these steps.
1. Choose the right platform:
There are many platforms to use for IoT mobile application development. They all seem to be good to use but before choosing the platform pay attention to what functionalities they support and how much they will cost you. Selecting the best suitable platform is crucial for the developer.
There are few of them below you can give preference to them.
- Android Things
- Android Ubidots
- Oracle IoT
- IBM Watson
There are more to this list. Many platforms are constantly improving their services. They are still trying to solve the inconsistency issues, inventing the unified system allows IoT mobile app developers to connect to the devices from different vendors that speak different protocols.
Taking an example of Apple’s HomeKit improvement provides the set of approved devices that can be used to connect the platform and the guidelines for building the IoT software.
Google and Apple provide their own API to give access to other devices that are outside Google and Apple’s ecosystem.
I suggest you use this kind of platforms because platform usage is the best way to build an IoT mobile application.
2. Selection of hardware:
If you are not going to make the hardware on your own then you need to select the appropriate hardware from the other makers. Firstly, your hardware should be able to perform on the demand for the product’s need. Secondly, your hardware should be reliable, as the accurate connection is the necessity for the successful mobile app development.
The pace is most important for the IoT mobile applications development process. Either your IoT application will stay relevant or not that depends on the scalability. The increase in data, devices, and processes are the things your app should be able to manage. Cloud technology is best in IoT because of this reason.
4. The relevant speed of the app:
The speed of the IoT mobile applications matters. It should be faster to respond to the command. What if the car connected with the IoT app doesn’t respond immediately. That’s where the speed matters. When it comes to data sharing and remotely controlling the device, the linger is at high-rate.
5. Security Care:
Make sure that you use the best and secure tools to build up your IoT mobile applications.
These are the few tips you need to keep in mind regarding the security in IoT mobile app development.
1. Carefully select the hardware vendors:
Sometimes it happens that the software a vendor provides is not able to prevent the security concerns and miss potentials for software vulnerabilities. So choose the hardware vendors carefully for your IoT mobile application development process.
2. Use a protective network:
All the data which are transmitted between the IoT mobile application and server or to the cloud should be encrypted.
3. Focus on not only network attacks but also on the physical attacks.
Any data stored in the device not only should be encrypted but should be securely stored i.e make sure that the storage is not removed easily.
4. Best practices for IoT mobile applications security:
To ensure that the IoT mobile apps are securely used by authorized users, you need to apply the best practices like encryption, two-way verification, two-factor authentication, and other tactics.
IoT doesn’t seem to slow down its speed of growth in the 21st century. It has just been started and the best way to use it to get the profit is to build an IoT mobile app. IoT app development is the profit with consequences so follow the tips and build it more carefully and successfully.